Friday, January 16, 2009

Brrrrr...

Much news at the Miller household, but just not enough time to tell about it! The past month has seemed like an absolute whirlwind...Christmas and New Years was a complete Blur! We had out of state family here and spend about five days together with both sides of our families! It was a blast, but also exhausting! The big news has been in the making for quite some time...we've been awaiting the arrival of my new nephew! Finally, after 2 months of bed rest and 2 weeks in the St. Joe hospital (for my sister), Little Braden Dean Stout has arrived! He was six weeks early but is doing remarkable well! I have been able to see him, but have not yet been able to hold him! (I'm hoping to get to tonight) I can't wait! His big sister Gabi is pretty excited too! Anyway, since my sister has been in the hospital (both before and since Braden's birth) Gabi has spent quite a bit of time at our house...much to her cousin's delight! Last night however, we were all wishing we were anywhere but "at our house"! Brian and i were tuckered out and in bed by 9:30 (very unusual) and by 10pm we awoke to everything in our house powering down! (Funny how that wakes you up, hun?) Yep...that's right...NO ELECTRICITY! We waited about 30 min and then decided it was time to pack up! My cousins' (Todd and Cindy) who live just across the field, still had power so we bundled up (2 adults, 1 baby, 2 sleeping daughters who were very limp, and one crying and scared niece) and headed to Todd's 4 the night! Cindy and Sarah were waiting at the door and even came out to help unload. (Keep in mind that by this time it was after 11PM and nearing 30 degrees below!) Yikes! Miraculosly, as soon as we were inside, the girls percked up and started playing! Imagine that! Finally around midnight, we were all settled in when (Light bulb moment) i realized that I had packed formula, cereal, diapers, and wipes but no bottle! Poor daddy! I'm sure he was cold when he drove home to get a bottle! (Love ya Brian) Anyway, sometime after 12:30 we did all fall asleep again, and settled in for the night (or shall i say morning?) 3 1/2 hours later, Brian crawled out of bed and headed back home to check on things! (Once again...love ya babe!) Around 8 AM, after Cindi and I had our coffee, I realized that even a honda dosen't start when it's been parked outside in 30 below temps! Thankfully, after talking to Merle Mullet, I gleaned a few tips on how to get it started! YIPPEE! We ended up coming home to a warm house with electricity! And in all of this, all I keep on thinking is..."I'm so glad that I'm not a NIPSCO employee!"

2 comments:

Cindy said...

WOW what a night! It's times like those that we can be sooo thankful to be living close to family!

Unknown said...

WOW! Brooke what an ordeal! I bet you're also glad you don't own a dairy farm. Because wow, that would be a cold job too. Would you make your hubby do all the milking?